MONTANA CROSS-COUNTRY 'T' ASSOCIATION, INC.
General Rules and Regulations for 1968
- Not more than two people per car at any time as a driver
or assistant. More than two people can be participants
with any one car but no more than two working on it at
any one time during the race, including coffee stops. Any
relief driver must be a paid-up member of the
- No outside help allowed while under time on road. Driver
guilty of either above will be penalized one hour.
- Route will be posted and marked as deemed advisable.
- Last day of race scheduled to end at noon in order to
have time for teardown inspection, meeting etc.
- Sponsors and advertising optional.
- Club will furnish braided seal wire, each driver will be
expected to put the wire in place so it may be sealed.
- Drill left hand front head bolt, second or third large
pan, and first or second small pan bolt.
- Removal of head or pan will impose a time penalty of one
hour unless you are under the time clock. Removal of head
or pan should be reported to the Timers by anyone knowing
of such being done.
- No replacement of complete engine allowed. Penalty for
such being done is disqualification.
- Other repairs during timeout stops, no penalty.
- Disabled cars may be trailered and will receive slow time
plus a ten minute time penalty from last check out point.
Please report to Timer as soon as possible.
- Citation by law will constitute a time penalty of one
- First three cars placing will be torn down for inspection
by five appointed inspectors, with the fourth being
available for inspection. The decision on the
inspectors is final.
- Any car disqualified, the owner becomes responsible for
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ALLOWED IN COMPETING CARS. THIS IS
A MUST AND ANYONE GUILTY OF AN INFRACTION WILL BE
BODY AND CHASSIS REQUIREMENTS
All Model "T's" must be Stock with
the Following Exceptions:
- Some type of substantially built box or turtle deck
required on roadsters and pickups.
- Only Model "T" wire or wooden spoke or disc
- Only 4:40-4:50/21, 30x3 or 30x3 1/2 tires allowed.
- Rebuilt radiators allowed. Must be built to stock
dimensions including tanks and side brackets.
- Windshields, must be stock for year of car. No altering.
Must have safety sheet or safety plate glass, top and
bottom windshields, to be closed completely and sealed
for race. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Only model "T" rear end, axles and standard
eleven tooth pinion, and forty tooth ring gear allowed.
Bronze thrust washers also allowed. Roller bearings only.
- Gas tank of not more than ten gallon capacity.
- Complete set of floor boards required, in place.
- At least 36 inch of 1 1/2 inch exhaust pipe required.
- Emergency brakes must be in good working condition.
- Bolts on wishbone at rear of pan must be safety wired.
- Ruckstell axles must be disconnected while under time.
- Cars must be licensed, Pioneer or regular.
INFRACTION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE RULES WILL
BE CAUSE FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- Model "T" type headlights in working
order required, (sealed beam allowed).
- Horn of any type in working order required.
- The name of the owner or driver and his hometown shall be
on both the right and left hand sides of the car, in
block or script, at least three inches in height, any
color, on the car itself or an attached sign.
- Rear view mirror of any type required.
- Padded seat cushions and back rest of any type required.
THERE WILL BE A FIFTEEN MINUTE TIME PENALTY FOR
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF RULES 14 THROUGH 18.
- Neoprene seals in rear axle optional.
- One or more stop lights optional.
- Shock absorbers are optional
- Rearching of springs optional.
- Zerk fittings in place of oil cups are O.K.
- Hoods are not required.
- Body paint color optional.
MODEL "T" ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION
MUST BE STOCK WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS
- Reboring of cylinders not to exceed sixty-thousandths
- No limit on amount of milling of block and/or head.
- Cast iron or aluminum pistons of stock Model
"T" type required.
- Full set of piston rings required.
- Stock model "T" camshaft with no
- Only standard size valve heads and forty-five degree
valves and seats allowed, pin or two piece keepers and
valve setting optional.
- No air holes allowed in manifold, must be plugged if
- The use of stock aluminum manifold is allowed.
- No grinding of the intake or exhaust manifolds or of the
ports allowed. Must be stock dimension which is 1-1/8
- Chroming of crankshaft optional.
- No oversize journals on crankshaft allowed.
- No counterbalanced crankshaft allowed.
- Drilling of rod caps and use of dippers optional.
- Type of Fourth main is optional.
- All transmission bands must be in working order, bonded
- Only NH Holley swayback and/or Ford swayback
carburetors allowed. No boring of carburetors or of
needle and seats allowed. Must be complete including
choke butterfly. Carburetors can be interchanged among
years. Not more than three qualified carburetors allowed
in possession. (PLEASE NOTE CHANGE)
- Gas strainers allowed.
- Only one outside oil line, not more than one-half inch
outside diameter allowed, no modifications to inside
oiling system allowed.
- Only stock Ford roller type or New Day or Anderson,
flapper type timers allowed. Ball bearing rollers
- Heat or temperature gauges optional.
- Design and use of water pump optional.
- V type belt and pulleys optional.
THE PENALTY FOR INFRACTION OF ANY OF THE ABOVE
RULES IS DISQUALIFICATION.
(end of rules)
This year the relief driver has to be a club
member. Time penalty is changed to slow time from last check out
point. Mufflers are gone again this year. Only had them on for
one year, must have been too quiet. Stop lights are now optional.
Carbs are limited to swaybacks only. Gone is that obtuse valve
timing thing. Ball bearing timer rollers are now optional.